Wyoming Area hosts cheerleading camp July 25-28
State inspection of Luzerne County prison looms in wake of elevator deaths
Farmers Market Focus: Rowlands PA Produce in Falls offers hydroponic options
Members of the Pittston Active Adult Center participate in a sing-a-long
State officials say county prison’s elevator doors would have been inspected
- Germania Hose Company Picnic, parade entertains in Duryea - 1:27 pm
- Senior Citizens’ News: Free blood pressure screenings in Pittston Aug. 2 - 1:20 pm updated: 1:20 pm.
- Wyoming Area school tax bills mailed to West Wyoming residents - 12:18 pm
- Pittston Area Class of ‘67 reunion meeting is Aug. 10 in Dupont - 12:15 pm
- Pittston Area School District tax bills mailed, due Sept. 22 - 12:13 pm
- Italian American Association meeting Aug. 12 in Wilkes-Barre - 12:04 pm
- Local Chatter: Pittston’s James Emmett named to dean’s list at Ursinus College - 12:02 pm
- Community yard sale is Sept. 10 in Jenkins Township - 12:00 pm
- Queen of the Apostles hosts pig roast July 17 in Avoca - 11:22 am updated: 11:24 am.
- Children’s Day held at the Pittston Farmers Market July 26 - 11:03 am
- Matters of Faith: Greater Pittston church listings for the week of July 31, 2016 - 10:23 am
- Boy Scout Troop 302 of West Pittston earns multiple awards during a camping trip - 10:17 am
- Kelly Services opens new location on Centerpoint Boulevard in Jenkins Township - 10:15 am updated: 10:15 am.
- Corpus Christi Parish holding annual car show Aug. 14 in Harding - 10:08 am
- Showers, thunderstorms expected for most of the weekend in the Wyoming Valley - 8:00 am
- AAA: Average gas prices didn’t budge overnight, are down from last week - 7:38 am
- Areas of minor congestion should do little to slow the morning commute - 7:28 am
- Luzerne County receives one purchase offer for old juvenile detention center - 7:29 pm
- State inspection of Luzerne County prison looms in wake of elevator deaths - 6:06 pm
- Pittston Area Primary Center holding kindergarten orientation Aug. 29 - 2:13 pm
- Showers, thunderstorms possible in the Wyoming Valley throughout the weekend - 8:02 am
- AAA: Average gas prices dropped by a penny across the board overnight - 7:37 am
- Areas of minor, heavy congestion could affect the morning commute - 7:32 am
- Luzerne County sending bills to recipients of incorrect homestead tax break - 5:51 pm
- Pittston Area Primary Center kindergarten graduation DVDs now available - 1:33 pm
- Farmers Market Focus: Rowlands PA Produce in Falls offers hydroponic options - 11:45 am
- Friends of the Pittston Memorial Library sponsoring ‘Meet the Artist’ event Aug. 14 - 11:43 am
- Wyoming Area High School announces fourth quarter honor roll - 11:36 am
- Showers, thunderstorms possible in the Wyoming Valley as the weekend approaches - 7:55 am
- AAA: Pennsylvania’s average gas price dipped slightly overnight - 7:41 am
- Areas of minor, heavy traffic congestion reported in the Wyoming Valley - 7:28 am
- Luzerne County Council discusses prison concerns in light of recent deaths - 10:51 pm
- Members of the Pittston Active Adult Center participate in a sing-a-long - 3:15 pm
- Children from the Cookie Corner Childcare Center in West Wyoming learn about Dutch artist Piet Mondrian - 11:49 am
- Sun forecast in the Wyoming Valley as the week rolls along - 7:42 am
- Smooth going for most of the Tuesday morning commuters - 7:41 am
- AAA: Local, national average gas prices dipped slightly overnight - 7:27 am
- State officials say county prison’s elevator doors would have been inspected - 8:24 pm
- Severe thunderstorm watch issued for Luzerne County - 3:17 pm
- Duryea VFW hoagie sale is Aug. 19 - 10:57 am
- Showers, thunderstorms possible in the Wyoming Valley through tonight - 7:24 am
- Minor, heavy traffic congestion reported in the Wyoming Valley this morning - 7:11 am
- Wyoming Valley residents can expect clear roadways on their Sunday travels - 6:36 am updated: 6:40 am.
- High temperatures in the Wyoming Valley – keep cool and hydrated! - 6:17 am updated: 6:22 am.
- Sunny skies and 90-degree temperatures for the weekend - 9:58 am
- Northeast High School Class of 1964 celebrating 70th birthdays Aug. 13 - 2:12 pm
- Northeast High School Class of 1966 reunion is Nov. 18-20 - 1:57 pm
- Pittston Township All-Class Reunion is Sept. 5 - 1:56 pm
- Exeter High School All-Class Reunion is Sept. 3 - 1:56 pm
- Pittston High School class of 1960 reunion set for Aug. 27 - 1:55 pm
Children’s Day held at the Pittston Farmers Market July 26
PITTSTON — Children’s Day at the Pittston Farmers Market was held Tuesday, July 26.Children planted and learned how to make summer drinks ...
Matters of Faith: Greater Pittston church listings for the week of July 31, 2016
Christian and Missionary Alliance317 Luzerne Ave., West Pittston570-654-2500 or firstname.lastname@example.orgWebsite: www.cmawp.comWednesday ...
Boy Scout Troop 302 of West Pittston earns multiple awards during a camping trip
Boy Scout Troop 302, of West Pittston, recently attended Goose Pond Scout Reservation for a week. Thirty-six merit badges were earned by 10 Scouts, an...
Kelly Services opens new location on Centerpoint Boulevard in Jenkins Township
JENKINS TWP. — After several relocations in Lackawanna County, Kelly Services has a new home.The business officially moved into its new facility...
Corpus Christi Parish holding annual car show Aug. 14 in Harding
EXETER TWP. — Corpus Christi Parish will sponsor its Fifth Annual Car Show on Sunday, Aug. 14 on the grounds of Holy Redeemer Church, Route 92, ...
Showers, thunderstorms expected for most of the weekend in the Wyoming Valley
Rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast for the Wyoming Valley for most of the weekend.The National Weather Service indicated it was 71 degrees as ...
Dupont Softball Tournament held July 22-24
DUPONT — The 10th annual Dupont Softball Tournament began Friday, July 22, and continued to Sunday, July 24.Sunday’s event featured a home...
Punt, Pass and Kick Tournament held July 23 in Duryea
DURYEA —The Duryea Wildcats hosted its second annual Punt, Pass and Kick Tournament on Saturday, July 23 at the Wildcats field on Foote Avenue.T...
Upon Further Review: Greater Pittston American Legion team won Wyoming Valley League title in 1976
July 2006Thanks to solid pitching from Tyler Mitchell and Gavin Kross, Exeter advanced to the final of the Exeter Classic 8-9-year-old Little League T...
Lombardo’s Market wins first half of Yatesville Bocce League
YATESVILLE — Lombardo’s Market won the first half title and thus a birth in the Yatesville Bocce League semi-finals next month. The market...
Avoca’s Thor Balavage, Old Forge’s Mando Sallavanti serve as captains in Dream Game
PECKVILLE – Thor Balavage expects to never play another football game.The Avoca resident and recent Scranton Prep graduate celebrated by complet...
Plains Junior American Legion Baseball team competing in regional
Seven players from the Pittston Area School District are on the Plains team that won two out of three Wyoming Valley American Legion Baseball Junior L...
MULTIMEDIA - PHOTO STORE
Peeking into the Past: West Wyoming manufacturer’s product made ‘one giant leap’
In 1949, Pittston High School graduates James Dull, John Gillis, Marion Mikitish and Joseph Ardoline answered the very first question asked by the Sun...
Jessica Brogna, Matthew Zampetti to exchange vows
John and Sharon Brogna of Pittston are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter, Jessica, to Matthew Zampetti, son of Michael and Diane Za...
UNC Youth present artwork for governor’s northeast office
Four teenage participants in UNC’s Illumination Youth Arts Program presented several of their photographs to be displayed at the new Governor...
Our Lady of Hope class receives communion
The Sacrament of Conﬁrmation was bestowed on the members of Our Lady of Hope Parish, Wilkes Barre. The Most Rev. Joseph C. Bambera, Bishop of t...
My Corner, Your Corner: Losing and winning throughout Greater Pittston
Last week, I reflected on losing my friend – everyone’s friend — Pittston Printery owner Jimmy Mulé.This past week we lost anot...
Life Deconstructed: Nuggets of advice for our sons
Recently, my son was away on some adventure or another. I can’t remember where, but I can tell you he got there using my car, my gas and my uni-...
Jim Krumel: As Mayberry goes, so goes America
You don’t have to look further than Mayberry to find a bellwether city this election year.That’s right. The fictional TV home where Sherif...
My Corner, Your Corner: July 7 we lost ‘a giant of generosity’
We lost an unheralded good friend July 7.Jimmy Mulé was a great friend to so many people and one of the most generous. He was a business owner an...
The Hot Corner: Downtown Pittston a hotbed for ‘Pokemon Go’ players
It was 8 p.m. The sun was still out and Main Street in Pittston bustling with activity. It wasn’t parade day, or the Second Friday Art Walk.It s...
Maria Remembers: Our forefathers sacrificed safety for freedom
As dusk descended with the setting sun on Sunday, July 3, the eve of our country’s 240th birthday, the sky took on the color of bright pink, dee...
My Corner, Your Corner: There’s always something going on during a Greater Pittston summer
This past week was a busy one. It started with the sad goodbye to Fr. Joseph Verespy of Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in Dupont last Sunday.Fr. Verespy...
Life Deconstructed: The good, the bad, the ugly and a dirty sleeping bag
As you read this column, you’ll finally come to the conclusion that I’m a colossal hypocrite.Here’s why: I really like my kids.Oh, n...
Dunkin’ Donuts of Northeastern Pennsylvania announces Iced Coffee Day on July 13 to benefit Saint Joseph’s Center
SCRANTON — Dunkin’ Donuts of Northeastern Pennsylvania announced Wednesday, July 13 will be the seventh annual Iced Coffee Day to support ...
Kathleen Noss, D.O. joins Partners in Pediatrics in Pittston
PITTSTON — Kathleen Noss, D.O., has joined Geisinger’s Partners in Pediatrics, 57 N. Main St., Pittston, to serve as a pediatrician, carin...
The Garden Mediterranean Cafe and Grill in West Pittston offers unique menu
WEST PITTSTON — Jo Marie Yamin-Ali enjoyed cooking food with her family growing up, which inspired her current career path. The Scranton resident...
Choo Choo’s Ice Cream opens in Dupont, grand opening is June 25
DUPONT — A vacant lot is now home to the newest attraction in Dupont.Choo Choo’s Ice Cream recently opened its doors at 434 Main St. and w...
Father’s Day gift ideas abound in Greater Pittston
WEST WYOMING — Kristin Randazzo gave her dad a warning last week.Her father, Lou, fell and injured himself at Tunkhannock Creek — right be...
Pittston Popcorn Co. and Cups makes move from Pittston Commons to downtown
PITTSTON — The Klobeck family business recently popped into downtown.Pittston Popcorn Co. and Cups relocated from the Pittston Commons to 8 S. M...