First Posted: 1/13/2013
Events planned by Knox Mine Disaster Memorial Committee in conjunction with the 54th anniversary of the disaster on January 22 include a Mass today and a wreath laying and a site visit next Sunday, January 20.
The Mass is today, Sunday January 13 at 10:30 a.m. at St. John the Evangelist church.
The wreath laying is next Sunday at 11:15 at the Knox Memorial in front of the Baloga Funeral Home.
The funeral home was the site of St. Joseph’s Church at the time of the disaster. The monument was erected there when the church was still active.
St. Joseph’s Parish is now part of the Parish Community of St. John the Evangelist. Among the 12 miners killed and entombed below the river that day in 1959 was the grandfather of John Baloga, the co-owner of the funeral home.
Weather permitting there will be a walk to the disaster site after the laying of the wreath.