First Posted: 6/1/2013
Chris Wasnetsky and Marina Orrson raced to overall victories in the 36th annual Anthracite four-mile run Saturday in West Pittston.
Wasnetsky took the overall win with a time of 20:45.
“The third mile was pretty tough … very hilly,” he said. “We had shade for the first two miles and it was flat.”
He said he tends to pick and choose which races he runs. His longest race has been the Run for the Diamonds, which is held annually on Thanksgiving Day morning in Berwick.
The Anthracite Run course goes along a portion of Susquehanna Avenue in West Pittston, which is mainly in shade. Runners then go up a small hill near the Wyoming Area baseball field and directly into sunlight.
It was a hot and humid day for the race, taking a toll on the runners. Last week’s weather was a blessing for those who ran in the Susquehanna Stride Half-Marathon and 5k in Pittston last Sunday.
On the female side, Marina Orrson took the win with a time of 23:53. “I actually felt pretty good,” she said. “I felt like I was pushing, but not killing myself.”
She has been running for about ten years and just wrapped up running in the spring for the Misericordia University track team.
Proceeds from the race went to West Pittston’s Parks and Recreation Board to help improve and clean up the town’s parks.
Top Ten Finishers
1. Chris Wasnetsky, 24, Dunmore, 20:45 (overall male winner)
2. Christopher Wadas, 31, Courtdale, 20:50
3. Frank Redmond, 24, Exeter, 21:37
4. Ed Kraftchisin, 42, Pittston, 22:19
5. Nick Wadas, 31, Kingston, 22:42
6. Marina Orrson, 22, Shavertown, 23:53 (overall female winner)
7. Nick McGuire, 16, Mountain Top, 23:57
8. Michael McAndrew, 53, Avoca, 24:05
9. Michelle Golden, 20, West Pittston, 24:58 (top runner from West Pittston)
10. Deedra Porfirio, 36, West Pittston, 26:19