Test your historical knowledge of Greater Pittston.
1. By what name was Campbell’s Ledge known prior to 1809?
2. Pittston’s Flatiron Building on North Main Street was razed to make way for what project?
3. On what date did the Laurel Line Railroad have its last run?
Answers will appear in next week’s Peeking into the Past.
1964 – 51 years ago
Dupont Borough’s municipal building was close to completion. Barring any setbacks, Edward Vogue, council chairman, announced the new $90,000 building would be completed and dedicated at the end of the summer.
The Sunday Dispatch Inquiring Photographer asked, “Do you agree with many law enforcement officials that the increase in the national crime rate can be attributed to too much leniency extended to law breakers?” Joseph Ranielli, of Pittston, answered, “They sure do get a lot of leniency. They’re getting away with too much these days.” Nick Krehel, visiting Pittston, added, “My personal opinion is that there is too much leniency extended to lawbreakers. I think certain people who break the law, but who have financial and political influence, receive more leniency than the ordinary John Doe who might commit the same crime.”
Eddie O’Malley, custodian, gave the Garfield School classrooms a fresh coat of paint in 1964. School directors inspected the school in the early summer and found the school hadn’t been painted since 1932.
1974 – 41 years ago
Pete and Charles Adonizio were instrumental in bringing “Yankee Clipper” Joe DiMaggio to the area. DiMaggio was to make a personal appearance at Pocono Downs as an honored guest of Shamrock Racing. He also managed to play a round of golf at Fox Hill Country Club and visited patients at the VA Hospital. During his 13-year career, “Joltin’ Joe” DiMaggio played only with the New York Yankees. During the 1941 baseball season, he had a 56-game hitting streak. It was recently reported in Newsday that “DiMaggio confided to a teammate that failing to extend the streak for one more game cost him the $10,000 promised to him by the Heinz Corporation to endorse their Heinz 57 products.”
A new company established in Duryea, Lady Carol Dresses, sponsored a girls softball team for the Miss E League under the direction of Marcus D’Amico. Members of the first team were Bernice Gallo, Denise Gosse, Mary Ann Szewczyk, Debbie Kearney, Denise Kructor, Beverly Winslow, Doreen Delevan. Helen Klimasiewfski, Terry Capitano, Lorraine Bartush, Elaine Delevan. Lorraine Gervasi was the pitching coach, Danny Haduck, coach, Woody Wudarski, Jerry Zielinskik and Bob Ryzner, umpires. To see a photo of the team, log on to psdispatch.com and click on Peeking into the Past.
A 1925 American LaFrance Pumper belonging to the Pittston Fire Department was traded to the Hahn Fire Apparatus Company in Hamburg. The truck was to be refurbished and delivered to its new owner Dr. Brent Follweiler, of Coatesville, a collector of antique fire trucks and equipment. The pumper was the only chain-driven truck made by LaFrance. The pumper was present at three of the largest fires that occurred in Pittston during its many years of service — the St. John’s School, the paper mill behind the American Theatre and a fire that almost destroyed the entire block on South Main Street.
1984 – 31 years ago
Pittston mayor Thomas Walsh designated that July 29, 1984 as Children’s Day in the City of Pittston. The parks and recreation committee initiated the idea and set up activities for the youngsters at the Albert West Park. Along with the mayor, council members P.J. Melvin, John Argo, Francis Ostrowski, Maria Capolarella, Mimi Shovlin, Vince Gubitoso and Carmen Falcone signed the proclamation.
Ned and Elaine Levey kept up on all the latest styles in their dress shop. Starting in 1947 as Elaine’s Hosiery Bar, the Leveys soon saw their business growing, which required a move from a location now occupied by the Anthracite Apartments to a new location near the old American Theater. A third move in 1964 to 35 Main St. enabled the Leveys to add more sportswear, dresses and foundation garments. In 1984, after 37 years of serving Pittston and communities beyond, the couple announced their retirement, handing over the Elaine’s Dress Shop keys to its new owners.
1994 – 21 years ago
Beth and Becky Bennett, of Exeter, were awarded the Founders Medal during the 1994 National Guild of Piano Auditions. Joseph Peter Malecki, III, of Laflin, also received the Founders Medal during the competition in Scranton.
After joining the Navy in 1993, Navy Seaman Sean Kratz, of Pittston, served aboard the guided missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain. The Ticonderoga class cruiser is one of three ships named in honor of the Battle of Lake Champlain in the War of 1812. The ship operated in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm and Desert Shield.
This day in history
1946 – President Harry Truman orders desegregation of all U.S. forces
1964 – Union leader James Hoffa is sentenced for fraud
1983 – Light flashes are seen on Jupiter moon Io
Reach Judy Minsavage at 570-991-6403 or email email@example.com.