EXETER — The Wyoming Area School Board announced at its monthly meeting on Tuesday the location for the public hearing on the possible closure of Sarah J. Dymond Elementary School following the 2015-2016 school year.
The meeting will take place at 6 p.m. on Jan. 12 in the Secondary Center auditorium at 20 Memorial Street.
The school board members voted at their November meeting when to hold the public hearing, but a location was not set. The hearing will be publicly advertised.
According to Wyoming Area Solicitor Jarrett Ferentino, the hearing will operate similarly to a regular school board meeting, but will focus solely on the fate of Sarah J. Dymond Elementary School.
He said administration will put on evidence and data regarding staffing issues and financial figures with regards to the continued operation of the elementary school and then the public can voice their concerns.
“We’re committing as much time as it takes to flesh out all the information that we want to present and hear from the public on their concerns on how the closing of the Sarah J. Dymond school could impact them,” Ferentino said.
The final decision on the fate of the elementary school will come after a 90-day period following the public hearing.
Sarah J. Dymond Elementary School is located at 635 Sutton Creek Road in Harding and staffs only seven educators.
In other business, school board members approved:
• Barbara Bullions as a volunteer advisor for the Drama Club.
• Debra Sanfilippo’s letter of resignation as cafeteria employee retroactive to Nov. 6.
• The request of the John F. Kennedy Elementary School Parent-Teacher Organization to use the Secondary Center cafeteria for JFK Elementary Designer Bingo from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 28.
• The request for the Wyoming Area Boys Baseball Parents Association to use the Secondary Center gym for special game nights.
• The request for the Wyoming Area Boys Baseball Parents Association to use the Secondary Center gym for “Meet the Warriors” at noon April 3.
• The appointment of Erica Campbell as a special education aide at Tenth Street Elementary.
The next regular Wyoming Area School Board meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Jan. 19 in the Secondary Center auditorium, 20 Memorial St. Exeter.
Reach Jimmy Fisher at 570-704-3972 or on Twitter @SD_JimmyFisher