Victims: Former Dupont police officer utilized fear, threats to quell sexual assault allegations

By Joe Dolinsky -


Clark Van Orden | Times Leader

WILKES-BARRE — Only when a former Dupont police officer was flushed from their lives did the alleged sexual assaults and threats of reprisals come to an end, two teenage boys testified Tuesday.

The victims stated during a motions hearing in Luzerne County Court that David Turkos raped them on multiple occasions over a seven-year span, threatening violence against pets and loved ones in an attempt to deter the pair from coming forward.

The former cop — who has a criminal record dating back to 2008 — was charged in August with three counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, two counts of indecent assault and a single count of simple assault after the two boys came forward in April.

The teenagers, both known to the 43-year-old, had been molested when they were younger, they testified Tuesday. They alleged the assaults happened between 2001 and 2008, stopping only when Turkos exited their lives.

During questioning by Assistant District Attorney Jenny Roberts, both boys explained why they waited to come forward.

“I was afraid,” said one of the alleged victims, now 14. “(Turkos) was being physical and he made threats.”

“I was being threatened,” stated a second alleged victim, now 19, adding he “absolutely” bought into the threats because Turkos owned a gun and “he would frequently point it at us.”

Turkos, the 19-year-old alleged, would sometimes handcuff him to a railing or banister during the assaults and later provided gifts in exchange for his silence.

Turkos’ defense team, attorneys Jason J. Mattioli and Tom Munley, had attempted to have the case dismissed on grounds the boys could not recall specifics of the alleged incidents, including dates and how many times they were assaulted.

“I didn’t keep a tally,” one of the boys testified Tuesday, after the subject was again explored by Mattioli. “If I gave you an estimate, it would be disgusting because it was over 100 times.”

After about an hour of testimony, Judge Michael T. Vough said he would issue a ruling on whether to dismiss the charges against Turkos at a later date.

Turkos, who appeared at the hearing but did not address the court, was hired as a part-time patrolman in Dupont in 2002.

While still a police officer, Turkos was arrested in March 2008 on accusations he beat his wife and stepson. He had been charged with aggravated assault and harassment and two counts each of terroristic threats and simple assault, according to court documents.

Turkos later pleaded guilty to two counts of simple assault and harassment and was sentenced to six months’ probation.

Turkos was arrested again in February 2009 on allegations he masturbated in front of two children. He was sentenced in March 2010 to six to 12 months in county prison on charges of corruption of minors.

He remains free on $50,000 bail.

Turkos Clark Van Orden | Times Leader

By Joe Dolinsky

Reach Joe Dolinsky at 570-991-6110 or on Twitter @JoeDolinskyTL

Reach Joe Dolinsky at 570-991-6110 or on Twitter @JoeDolinskyTL

comments powered by Disqus