HUGHESTOWN — Each student will receive his/her student handbook on the first day of school at the Pittston Area Intermediate Center on Monday, Aug. 29. Any student who hasn’t registered yet should contact the school. Parents should take the time to review and to discuss the contents of the student handbook with each student. Any questions/concerns can be directed to the school’s guidance office at 570-654-2415 and press 3.
The intermediate center announces the following news for the start of the 2016-17 school year:
• School will be closed on Monday, Sept. 5 for the Labor Day holiday. Classes will resume Tuesday, Sept. 6.
• Jeff Martin, third grade teacher, is new to the intermediate center for this year.
• To avoid any confusion on the first day of school, parents should send a note with their child stating how he/she will be going home (bus number and location of bus stop, car or walking student, or special transportation).
• Free and reduced lunch applications will be sent home with each student in the first few days of school. Applications are due back as soon as possible.
• Car and walking students may begin to arrive at 8:15 a.m. Second grade students are to report to the band room. Third grade students are to report to the gym. Fourth grade students are to report to the cafeteria. All students will report to their classrooms at 8:40 a.m.
Van students will dismiss at 3:05 p.m. Car and walking students will dismiss at 3:15 p.m. through the middle school main entrance. Bus students will board the buses starting at 3:25 p.m. If there is a change in how your child will go home, parents are asked to send in a note to their homeroom teacher.
• All parents who drive their child to school in the morning are reminded to use the driveway on the side of the Intermediate Center drop off starting at 8:15 a.m. In order to keep students safe, they are not allowed to be dropped off in the parking lot.
• The Pittston Area School District has a structured dress code for all students. Parents and students are reminded to review and follow the district’s structured dress code policy. The policy is available through the district’s website at www.pittstonarea.com or a copy can be obtained in the Intermediate Center’s office.
• Parents are reminded to contact the Intermediate Center office prior to 9 a.m. on the day their child will be absent from school. Upon return to school, a written excuse/medical excuse must be provided to your child’s homeroom teacher.
• The annual intermediate center’s Back to School Night for parents will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7. During the Back to School Night, all parents will have the opportunity to meet with administration, faculty, and staff.
• The first PTO Meeting for the 2016-17 school year will be held at 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 12 at in the Middle School’s cafeteria. Dues for a family membership are $5. This year’s officers are President Kate Zielinski, Vice President Lisa Maida, Treasurer Anne Schardien and Secretary Kristan Boettger.
Information provided by the Pittston Area Intermediate Center.